ilès: (ˈʔilɘs) noun, Berber for “tongue, language”
(compare with لسان ).
We are a team of translators working together in Tunis, Algiers, and Safi.
Since 2012, we translate mainly from English to Arabic and Arabic to English.
Our passion: Linguistics
Every Languages matters
And no matter how well someone speaks another language, his or her mother tongue will always have significantly more power to convey meaning, build relationships, and shape a community. That’s why we believe in language development: the analysis, documentation and promotion of minority languages in North Africa.
- Linguistic research: phonology and orthography, grammar, dictionary, etc.
- Documentation of proverbs, music forms, poetry, and language data in general
- Promotion: encouraging the verbal and written use of minority languages in all domains of life, including the home, school, work, the arts and education
The following are some of the projects we’re currently working on:
- Dictionary of Tunisian Arabic into English: We’re putting together a database for a Tunisian Arabic-English dictionary. (Finished, see derja.ninja)
- Description of the Mozabite Language (Tumzabt) in Algeria: A team is working on a description of the phonology and grammar of the Mozabite Language, with plans to produce a dictionary in the future.
- Publication of a small booklet on Chaoui orthography with a team from the area (Algeria).
- In preparation: Dictionary and website for a Berber language in Morocco.